Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Speaking Truth when it's hard

I must admit that as a pastor, I do genuinely want people to like me. Maybe it's just my human nature, maybe my insecurities. But preaching a sermon like this past Sunday's message "Walk the Line" was hard. Because I know that I am speaking against the comfortable standard that we have come to accept in American Christian culture. Nominal (or Carnal) Christianity is the expectation of the day. But as I read Scripture and experience my own relationship with Christ, that style of Christianity creates frustration, disappointment, and misery. So I do encourage each of us, give Christ all you have in total surrender. Don't live with one foot in Christ and the other in the world. You cannot straddle the fence or walk the line of Christian living.

As we discussed on Sunday, the first step to a Christlike lifestyle is to overcome the sin that so easily entangles. You know the one in which I speak. That darling sin that you have continued to struggle against, but continue to fail. Share that sin with someone and begin walking the journey to recovery today.

We are facing our first hurdle with Torch. We have consistently run out of space. Yes, it's a good problem, but a problem nonetheless. Pray that we will be able to discern God's next step for Torch and in the meantime, discover creative ways to alleviate the issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment